Flooding in Queensland
Well it sure has been an interesting few days. My wife and I returned on the 8th of January from an overseas holiday excited to be back in Australia. On Monday the 10th we were in Toowoomba for a few meetings with the intention of being back on the Gold Coast by the evening when all of a sudden we were on the receiving end of torrential rain and flooding. Fortunately we had just left the hardest hit streets but its Thursday already and we are still trapped in Toowoomba due to the damaged roads.
The Queensland Rural Medical Education Unit have been very kind to allow us to stay in one of their units while we find other accommodation.
The Australian Taxation Office realise that this flood has drastically affected many thousands of taxpayers and have offered assistance including:
• Reissuing of tax documents such as tax returns, activity statements, notices of assessments
• Documents substantiating transactions might have been destroyed. A tax officer can assist to reconstruct your records
• Centrelink assistance is offered. We registered online for assistance which was surprisingly simple
• Fast-tracking any tax refunds you may be expecting
• Giving you extra time to pay your debts – without interest charges
• Giving you extra time for all lodgement obligations – without penalties, and
• Help if you are experiencing serious hardship.
We wish everyone affected by the floods all the best during this trying time. Please contact us if there is anything we at KRS Accountants can do to assist you.